Monday, January 25, 2010

Stacks (Ode to Dano Steinhardt)


I've mentioned Dano Steinhardt in a previous post. Dano is (was?) one of the Professional Products Managers at Epson. And he's a killer photographer with a very graphic style. Has a knack for creating something from nothing. Enter these huge, monolithic stacks pouring out from Nova Scotia Power in Halifax. These puppies tower into the air at the edge of Halifax Harbour. And when I saw them I thought of Dano.

They caught my eye while driving earlier in the week while there on business but didn't have a chance to pull over.

I forced my comrade into a parking lot a day later to capture a shot - the original idea was a black and white. Snapped and quite liked it.

Then I pass 'em a day later during the Golden Hour and just had to re-do it. This time I couldn't go away from the color. Looking through several shots I chose this one as the S-curve of the smoke added an element of interest. Pollution be damned I'm glad those stacks were pumping that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment